- 1. Install the old drive and boot with it.
- At the login screen, use the Administrator account to log in.
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Click on "My Computer."
- Right click on "John's Documents" (that is, documents for the administrator's account, which was under his name.)
- Click on "Sharing and Security."
- Click on the "Sharing" tab.
- Uncheck the box "Make this folder private."
- Shut the machine down and boot with the new hard drive.
The "Make this folder private" box has the effect of flagging all files in that folder in such a way that they cannot be read by other users, not even from another installation of Windows. Be mindful of this if you use it.
This was first published in July 2005