- Build ServerB.
- Get the disk organized the way you want and apply ALL appropriate Service Packs.
- Have ServerB join the domain.
- Promote ServerB to be a domain controller. After doing this, allow about 24 hours to pass. Validate that replication has occurred successfully (you can use the replmon tool in the support tools for Windows 2000/2003 to check this). Check the event logs for any issues.
- Move the FSMO roles (if any) from ServerA to ServerB.
- Install DNS on ServerB if ServerA had that function.
- Demote ServerA so that it is no longer a domain controller. Make sure that this step completes successfully and completely. The event logs will tell the tale. If it doesn't complete successfully, you could have orphaned entries in your Active Directory. You will need to use tools like ADSEDIT and LDAP.exe from the Resource Kit to clean it up.
- Decommission ServerA.
This was first published in October 2003