Ask the Expert

How can I move a member server to another machine?

I have a Win2k domain controller and a member server. What I want to do is move the member server to another machine. The member server acts as secondary WINS and DNS servers. Can you please advise me on how I can implement this?

Requires Free Membership to View

You can attempt a switch by moving the hard drive from the old member server to the new member server. You will have the best results if the core hardware is the same or similar. You could also try a sysprep action where you use sysprep and a hard drive-cloning program. If these two methods fail, your only option is a complete rebuild: perform a fresh install of Windows 2000 on the new member server, then install needed additional software and configure it for your needs.

This was first published in April 2003

There are Comments. Add yours.

TIP: Want to include a code block in your comment? Use <pre> or <code> tags around the desired text. Ex: <code>insert code</code>

REGISTER or login:

Forgot Password?
By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy
Sort by: OldestNewest

Forgot Password?

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an email containing your password.

Your password has been sent to: