What I could do is take my BDC, install Windows 2003 Server on it (with a new domain) and then migrate all clients AND user profiles to the new domain. Then go through this Windows 2003 domain renaming process. This will take too long for me to complete by myself in the time frame I have alotted, so I am looking for a better way.
Here's what I think might work and plan to test:
1. Create new Windows 2003 domain controller with same domain name (not attached to network).
2. Copy each user profile to a local user account (using user profile manager under 'my computer').
3. Take current Windows 2000 PDC and BDC off of the network.
4. Join the new domain with each workstation.
5. Copy the local user profile created in step 2 to the user's domain profile under the new domain.
6. Re-install the original PDC and BDC and join the new domain.
7. dcpromo the PDC and BDC back to positions of authority and demote the DC created in step 1.
Will this work? Is there a better way to do this, maybe using the Active Directory Migration tool, which I have never used?
Dig deeper on Microsoft Active Directory
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.