1) Have the user log on with his new account
- A new profile will be created likely called username.domainname
2) Log the user off
3) Log on as an administrator of the local machine (typically domain administrators are)
4) Delete the username.domainname profile found in the C:\Documents and Settings folder on the machine
5) Rename the old profile to match the username.domainname
6) Reset the permissions on the username.domainname folder to be Administrator Full, System Full, and username Full. Force the change to all sub-folders.
7) Have the user log on as the new user account from the domain. Their icons and settings should all be there.
There are other ways, but the process is generally the same. Scripting is possible but can be a bit tricky.
Dig deeper on Microsoft Active Directory Migration
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.