- Create my database using a painter similar to SYBASE CENTRAL.
- Create my user's launch ICON, data input screens, pre-canned reports, procedure to print labels and then update database records to set flag = 'labels printed.'
- Write sub routines that can be called by report procedures.
- As I paint these interfaces, I want third or fourth generation code stored editable files which I could later browse, edit, modify, or embed other code.
- I like SQL.
- I like drag and drop painting.
- I am used to the old IBI FOCUS and DB2 and FOXBASE code generators.
I cannot seem to find any one who knows what I am talking about. Everyone is talking about code generators for Web pages, which need browsers and are uneditable code.
- It sure sounds like you described Microsoft Access.
This was first published in July 2002