I need to upgrade all the servers to Win2k Server. The workstations will be upgraded at a later date. I would like...
to do the following: Remove one BDC server and upgrade it to Win2k. Then, once done, I want to change the new server to a PDC, then reconnect the new server to the network, remove the old NT 4.0 servers, do the upgrade and make them BDC's -- thus reducing downtime of network.
Any help is much appreciated.
- Remove on BDC from the network.
- Promote the isolated BDC to PDC.
- Upgrade the isolated PDC to Win2k. (Note that you will need to either install DNS on this machine or make another machine available to it that has DNS running on it.)
- Power down the existing PDC normally.
- Introduce the new PDC into the network.
- Switch the Win2k PDC's DNS to be the appropriate DNS for the network. Restart the server and check that the appropriate DNS entries get created.
- Upgrade the BDCs to Win2k.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.