Basically all the background processes halt when the machine accesses any of the drives, or when I minimize a window....
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
It's quite a problem when trying to show presentations. Many thanks for any help.
This could occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- out of date or incorrect device drivers
- software executing in the background consuming resources (this can include viruses, Trojan horses, and other software you may have installed and forgotten about or didn't even know was installed)
- the BIOS on the motherboard is old
- your pagefile is too small (it should probably be around 1GB)
- you could have a APM/ACPI problem (i.e. the power management features of hardware that Win2k supports)
If you have the Norton System Doctor tool or similar on hand, I'd run it to see if it could find any issues. Depending on how log your Win2k system has been running, it may benefit from a complete system wipe and re-installation.
Dig Deeper on Windows Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.