- Build the heavy workstation as a BDC.
- Take the BDC off the network.
- Upgrade the PDC to be Windows 2000/Active Directory.
- Build the ML350 as the domain controller in the Active Directory.
- Migrate the Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) over to the ML350. (This is a critical step! Your AD will NOT be operational without doing this.) The MS KB article #223787, Flexible Single Master Operation transfer and seizure process will discuss moving each of the five FSMO rolls.
- Make the ML350 a global catalog (GC). Use the Active Directory Sites and Services to perform this action.
- Migrate DNS to the ML350 if you don't have another DNS structure already in place.
- Upgrade any other NT 4.0 BDCs to Windows 2000.
- Take the old PDC offline and erase it.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft Active Directory
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.