This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
9. - Terms to know for virtualization automation: Read more in this section
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 1. - Benefitting from task automation and workflow orchestration
- 2. - Automation is a must-learn technology for IT pros
- 3. - Finding a data center automation balance
- 4. - Expert advice: Use common sense when devising an automation strategy
- 5. - How to avoid manual resource allocation
- 6. - IT process automation in a Hyper-V environment
- 7. - What you should know to get the most out of vCenter Orchestrator
- 8. - Workflow automation software showdown: Citrix, Microsoft and VMware
With SCVMM 2012, an administrator can configure and manage virtualized environments, including hosts, networking and storage resources. Tasks such as consolidation and conversion of physical machines and rapid provisioning of virtual machines (VMs) can be completed using a central console.
Private clouds are a major focus of SCVMM 2012; administrators can create and delegate them to users, who can then use self-service tools to deploy their own VMs.
Other updates include the ability to create Hyper-V clusters and enhanced power management features. System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 now supports Citrix XenServer in addition to Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware vSphere.