FAQ EXPERT: Rod Trent, manager of myITforum.com and community editor for TechTarget, is the leading expert on Microsoft Systems Management Server. He has over 19 years of IT experience, eight of which have been dedicated to systems management. He is the author of many books and literally thousands of articles on technology topics. MyITforum.com is the central location for third-party systems management support, as well as the online gathering place for IT professionals and the IT community. Rod speaks at least three times a year at various conferences. If you have a SMS & SUS question, check below first to see if Rod may already have answered it.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Frequently Asked Questions: SMS & SUS
1. How do I connect a server to an SUS server through a firewall?
2. Why won't SUS work over my VPN?
3. Why doesn't my workstation receive any patches?
4. Does the SUS server update all MS server applications?
5. How can I verify that the SUS client is installed properly?
6. When do I need to set up SMS secondary site servers?
7. Why can't cumulative security patches be pushed via SMS?
8. How do I install software on a client workstation remotely?
9. Can you manually sync clients with a SUS server?
10. Will the SUS service affect Terminal Services servers adversely?
11. Can I install the SMS Advanced Client on Win2k machines with SP2?
12. Can I distribute any Windows Installer (.msi) application using SMS?