This collection features the very best of our Microsoft Active Directory advice from the past year, as rated by our readers. Top tips this year include advice on how to perform an offline defrag of the AD database, tracking a deleted object's replication status and more.
- How to rebuild the SYSVOL tree when none exists in Active Directory
Follow these five easy steps to rebuild the SYSVOL tree in Active Directory instead of starting from scratch.
- How to create a cross-forest trust in Active Directory
Building a cross-forest trust in Active Directory allows a trust to be created between the root domain of two forests.
- Active Directory database basics: Performing an offline defrag
A fundamental understanding of how the Active Directory database works is important for Windows admins. Learn how the database sits in the AD architecture, as well as how to properly defrag the database for peak performance.
- Tracking a deleted Active Directory object's replication status
Learn how to track a deleted Active Directory object's replication status and how to determine if the object has been replicated throughout the DC forest.
- Cleaning up your Active Directory
When it's time to scrub your Active Directory, remember that cleaning AD now will prevent problems down the road.
This was first published in December 2008