By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
This newly updated SearchWinComputing.com guide introduces you to backup, explains best practices and pitfalls to avoid and provides troubleshooting advice. You'll find articles, tutorials, tips, tools, white papers, expert advice and more to quickly pump up your backup know-how. Drop me an e-mail to let me know what other learning guides you'd like to see on SearchWinComputing.com. Vandana Sharma, Assistant Editor.
| TABLE OF CONTENTS
Hardware and Software
|Backup 101||Return to Table of Contents|
- Glossary Definition: Backup 101 (Powered by Whatis.com)
- Article: Backup basics: Words to know
- Article: Worst practices for backup and disaster recovery (Part 1)
- Article: Worst practices for backup and disaster recovery (Part 2)
- Article: CDP not always a substitute for conventional backup
- Article: More options in backup landscape for Windows
- Article: Outsourcing the backup data center
- Chapter Download: Inside Windows Storage: Chapter 5, "Backup and Restore Technologies"
- Chapter Download: Resilient Storage Networks: Chapter 2, "Data Storage Fundamentals"
- Article: Best backup plans for the desktop
- Article: How to ease into archiving through backup
- Article: Checklist: How to stretch backup windows on a budget
- Article: Checklist: Performing data backups
|Expert Advice||Return to Table of Contents|
|You'll find more expert advice on backup and hardware in our Ask the Expert section. If you've run into a problem using backup software or hardware, try posing your own question to Bernie Klinder.
Browse the questions below for sampes of our expert advice on backup.
- Advice: Can you explain the different types of backups?
- Advice: Can you help me devise a backup system?
- Advice: What other system files need regular backup besides user files?
- Advice: Are tapes a reliable backup system?
- Advice: Can a backup from one server be restored to a completely different new server?
- Advice: Can I backup my DNS server without backing up all the system state data?
- Advice: What is the difference between differential and incremental backup methods?
|Administration||Return to Table of Contents|
Browse this collection of backup tips chosen by our editors.
- Tip: 10 tips in 10 minutes on backup and restore technologies
- Tip: Backend tasks you should automate: Backups
- Tip: Desktop tasks you should automate: Backup and archiving
- Tip: Secondary backups from Veritas NetBackup, MP3 risk data loss
- Tip: Bridging NTBACKUP's shortcomings
- Tip: Do you still need to do full backups?
- Tip: Idiotproof backup solution for users employs CD-RW
- Tip: Backups to CD-RW in XP
- Tip: Understand your scheduled backups
- Tip: Design critical in data compression backups
- Tip: Setup support of dynamic disks falls short
|Hardware and Software||Return to Table of Contents|
Browse this collection of backup-related articles chosen by our editors.
- Article: Product Roundup: Backup software
- Products of the Year 2005: Backup hardware
- Products of the Year 2005: Backup and disaster recovery software
- Article: Microsoft's backup software not a replacement for tape
- Article: Microsoft's customers will get their backup
|Disaster Recovery||Return to Table of Contents|
Browse this collection of articles about backup and disaster recovery chosen by our editors.
- Learning Center: Data protection
- Tip: What to do when your hard drive fails
- Tip: Ultimate boot CD packs in recovery, repair utilities
- Article: Archive and backup snuggle up
- Article: Small shops tackle DR on a budget
- Article: Vendors sharpen DR tools
- Article: Iron Mountain loses 40 Time Warner tapes
- Article: Marriott breach spotlights internal data security
- White Paper: Windows 2000 Server disaster recovery guidelines
- White Paper: Optimizing disk-based backups for SMBs and distributed enterprises
- Webcast: How to back up and recover GPOs