Good sources of foundational material are available from all of the major players including equipment vendors, operating system providers and wireless industry or trade organizations. The following list is a sample of the offerings that are useful and available, but is by no means comprehensive:
- Wireless networking tutorial: General introductory wireless technologies
- Wireless networking overview: Windows-oriented wireless network coverage
- How to Network basics: Great wired and wireless networking tutorials, descriptions and business benefits from Linksys
- SearchNetworking.com: TechTarget's strong wireless section with links to many related tutorials and topics
On the print front, there are hundreds of books available on the subject of wireless networking aimed at a variety of audiences. The technical books listed below focus on understanding the basics, and applying best practices where possible for businesses all the way up to enterprise class. All these titles received strong reviews from wireless experts and regular readers:
- Patrick Brans, Mobilize Your Enterprise: Achieving Competitive Advantage Through Wireless Technology (Prentice Hall PTR, 2002, ISBN: 0130091162).
- John Rhoton, The Wireless Internet Explained (Digital Press, 2001, ISDN: 1555582575).
- Jeff Duntemann, Jeff Duntemann's Wi-Fi Guide, 2e (Paraglyph Press, 2004, ISDN: 1932111883).
- Andy Dornan, The Essential Guide to Wireless Communications Applications, 2e (Prentice Hall PTR, 2002, ISBN: 0130097187).
- Thomas Maufer, A Field Guide to Wireless LANs for Administrators and Power Users (Prentice Hall PTR, 2003, ISBN: 0131014064).
- Mark Beaulieu, Wireless Internet Applications & Architecture (Pearson Education, 2001, ISBN: 0201733544).
- Janice Reynolds, Going Wi-Fi: A Practical Guide to Planning and Building an 802.11 Network (CMP Books, 2003, ISBN: 1578203015).
- Barry D. Lewis and Peter T. Davis, Wireless Networks For Dummies (John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2004, ISBN: 0764575252).
- John Ross, The Book of Wi-Fi: Install, Configure, and Use 802.11b Wireless Networking (No Starch Press, 2003, ISBN: 188641145X).
- Frank Ohrtman and Konrad Roeder, Wi-Fi Handbook: Building 802.11b Wireless Networks (McGraw-Hill Professional, 2003, ISBN: 0071412514).