By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
Freeware refers to software utilities and tools that are offered at no cost. These small applications are available for downloading and use in most operating systems. In this article we've compiled a bunch of tips related to freeware.
|TABLE OF CONTENTS
Freeware resources on the Web
|Freeware 101||Return to Table of Contents|
- Tip: Freeware recovers lost Microsoft product keys
- Tip: Freeware helps admins monitor Windows log files in real time
- Tip: Freeware helps administrators view system configuration
- Tip: 'Unlocker' reveals processes that lock files
- Tip: Process Explorer: Freeware outshines Task Manager
- Tip: Ultimate boot CD packs in recovery, repair utilities
- Tip: Freeware opens doors for mapping tasks
- Tip: Free script for importing/exporting DNS information
- Tip: Windows File Protection Query v1.00 freeware
- Tip: Create a bootable Windows Server 2003 CD
- Tip: PsPasswd: A free password-changing utility
- Tip: Locked files line up for changes
- Tip: You can 'trust' Trust-no-exe
- Tip: Freeware profiler for SQL Server
- Tip: On BLAT, a command-line mailing utility
- Article: Special report: The best Windows tools
As many IT administrators have learned, some of the most useful products related to Windows operating system don't cost a dime.
- Article: Bounty of free IT tools available
Microsoft and Sysinternals are just two of the many providers of useful freeware for IT administrators.
- White Papers: Bitpipe freeware vendor reports
Browse these reports to find the latest freeware white papers, product literature, webcasts and case studies.
|Expert advice||Return to Table of Contents|
|Serdar Yegulalp wrote for Windows Magazine from 1994 through 2001, covering a wide range of technology topics. He now plies his expertise in Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP as publisher of The Windows 2000 Power Users Newsletter and writes technology columns for TechTarget.|
- Expert Advice: Can I disable the '/savecred' option in RunAs?
- Expert Advice: Remotely access the desktop of network users
- Expert Advice: How do I uninstall Win XP so I can reformat my hard drive?
- Expert Advice: Is there any freeware for disclaimers?
- Expert Advice: Tool recovers a lost admin login password
|Freeware resources on the Web||Return to Table of Contents|
- Simtel: Need to find some software? Want to post some? Simtel has gads of freeware and shareware programs availabe. Search by Top 100 Downloads, New Releases or Most Popular for some quick finds.
- Sysinternals: Two well-respected IT pros, Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell, built and run this fabulous site of freeware tools for Windows OSes and Linux. Many of the utilities you'll find here are household names in many IT shops around the country and the world -- and for good reason.
- Joeware.net: This is the online home of a Microsoft MVP for Active Directory who has made several free tools available for download. Some of them, you'll wonder how you ever did without.
- Freewarehome: Everything you ever wanted to know about freeware and more! Free downloads available in a variety of areas, including: system utilities, desktop management, programming, games and more.
- Tucows downloads : Download freeware, shareware and demos. Maintains over 45,000 software titles that are tested, rated, reviewed and ready to download.
- Only freeware: Offers a variety of freeware for Windows 95/98/ME/XP. No shareware listed. The site provides a large selection of downloads organized by category.