All answers to this quiz are found in the Feb 13-19 featured chapter download, but be warned - this quiz is designed to be challenging! Good luck!
How to take the quiz:
- After reading the question, note the letter of your answer. Check your answers by clicking the link to the answer key at the end of the quiz.
- Send us an e-mail telling us how you did to participate in our book giveaway this week.
NOTE: The weekly prize drawing is random - your score will not affect your chances of winning.
- To read more about a topic, open the chapter and locate the indicated page after each answer.
Chapter Quiz #1
1. Master File Tables (MFT)...
a. Work primarily by speeding up the defragmentation of disks.
b. Became obsolete with the introduction of Win XP.
c. Store attribute information for each file and folder on a disk.
d. Are an advanced expanding-tree function in Windows 2000 for browsing all files on the disk.
2. The command "bootcfg/ems" allows you to...
a. Change redirection of the Emergency Management Services console to a remote computer.
b. Enable Exact Memory Setting-mode to prevent memory instability during boot after troubleshooting.
c. Open the Embedded Memory Services console on Win9x systems.
d. Establish a remote connection to the External Management System toolkit on the server.
3. What should you do after running most "fsutil" commands?
a. Back up the system registry.
b. Keep your fingers crossed.
d. Ping the file server to confirm connection.
4. The Master Boot Record (MBR) is an entry located...
a. In the first partition, immediately after the emergency recovery-sector.
b. In the first section of the first partition.
c. Wherever you set it up to reside in the BIOS.
d. In the WINNT-folder of Win2000 systems.
5. This message indicates that the MBR is Ok while the boot sector is bad or not found:
a. "Error loading operating system"
b. "Invalid partition table"
c. "Missing operating system"
d. "A disk read error occured"
6. Which option is NOT a valid ARC Path Operating System Switch?
7. The command "dmdiag" is primarily useful for...
a. Quickly retrieving a system's storage information.
b. Troubleshooting a boot sector located on a secondary drive.
c. Checking the status of all hardware components, including peripherals.
d. Diagnosing and repairing the DM file table.
8. There are some things the "recover" command just won't do. What DOES it do?
a. Restore multiple files.
b. Accept wildcards.
c. Restore sub-folders.
d. Restore partial Word docs.
9. Itanium-based systems do not use MBR format. Instead, they use:
a. Globally Unique Identifier Partition Tables
b. Master Resource Allocation Records
c. Advanced Master Boot Records
d. Master Resource Allocation Tables
10. When you run Disk Management and receive this status message: "Online (Errors)", this means...
a. The disk is operating normally.
b. The OS has detected I/O errors with the disk.
c. The disk is functional but is missing a valid signature.
d. The system recognizes the disk as functional with a valid signature, but lacks a record for it.
CLICK HERE FOR ANSWER KEY AND TO WIN A FREE BOOK!
This was first published in February 2004