Have a service that fails routinely? Do you need time to research without being bothered to restart the service each time it fails? Make the service restart itself:
- Open the services applet. (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services)
- Find the service you wish to restart and right click on it.
- Choose Properties from the menu.
- After the Properties windows appears, choose the Recovery tab.
- On the first, second and subsequent failures dropdown boxes, choose your desired action to take when the service fails. For the purpose of this tip, you should choose restart.
- Click OK to lock in the changes.
This was first published in July 2003