Intended for temporary users, guest accounts are an easy point of entry for hackers. This is how you can permanently disable them:
- Go to Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Users & Passwords.
- In the Users & Passwords window, select the Advanced tab.
- In the Advanced User Management section, click Advanced.
- In the Local Users & Groups window, select the Users folder (left panel). All system users will be listed in the right panel.
- Right-click Guest, then select Properties.
- In the Guest Properties window, select Account is disabled. Click Apply, then OK.
Please let us know how useful you find this tip by rating it below! If you have a useful Windows tip, timesaver or workaround to share, submit it to our
tip contest and you could win a prize!
This was first published in May 2006