When a Windows 2000 server does not start properly (or not at all), administrators usually need to use Recovery...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
It's possible to configure Windows 2000 Recovery Console so that you can gain access to removable media devices for the purpose of copying file.
Note: As a security measure, Microsoft has disabled this feature by default. You should think twice before making a change to this setting. However, if you want to go ahead and allow copying files from removable media without any restrictions, follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel and go to Administrative tools.
- Select Local Security Policy.
- Select Domain Security Policy.
- Select Domain Controller Security Policy.
- Select Security Configuration and Analysis.
- Now from the Microsoft Management Console tree pane, go to Local Policies.
- Click Security Options and select the policy from the details pane which says Recovery Console: Allow floppy copy and access to all drives and all folders.
- Take the Security option from the Action menu.
- A Local Security Policy Setting dialog box will be displayed. Click on the Enabled checkbox and then click the OK button.
- Go back into the Recovery Console and type this command at a command prompt: "set allowremovablemedia = true."
It will now be possible for you to copy files to and from a removable media source without any restrictions.
Note: After making this setting, you have to retype the set command each time you start into Recovery Console.
About the author: Rahul Shah currently works at a software firm in India, where he is a systems administrator maintaining Windows servers. He has also worked for various software firms in testing and analytics, and also has experiences deploying client/server applications in different Windows configurations.
More information on this topic:
- Tip: Running System Restore from the Recovery Console
- Topics: Windows disaster recovery
- RSS: Sign up for our RSS feed to receive expert advice every day.