There are many general restrictions you can make to the Start Menu, the Explorer and to the Desktop itself.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
1. Go to HKEY_Current_User / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Policies. There should be at least an Explorer section there already. Additional keys that can be created under Policies are WinOldApp. You can then add DWORD values set to 1 in the appropriate keys. To re-enable them, either delete the key or set the value to 0.
- ClearRecentDocsOnExit = Clear of Recent Documents on Exit.
- NoAddPrinter = Adding new printers.
- NoClose = Computer Shutdown.
- NoDeletePrinter = Delete Installed Printers.
- NoDesktop = Doesn't show Desktop items as well as and Desktop right-click menu.
- NoDevMgrUpdate = Windows 98/ME web Update Manager.
- NoDrives [hex] = Hides Drives in my computer.
- NoFind = Find command.
- NoInternetIcon = Internet Icon on Desktop.
- NoNetHood = Network Neighborhood.
- NoRecentDocsHistory = Recent Documents in Start Menu.
- NoRun = Run command.
- NoSaveSettings = Save Settings on exit.
- NoSetFolders = Folders in Start Menu - Settings.
- NoSetTaskbar = Taskbar in Start Menu - Settings.
- NoSMMyDocs = My Documents folder in Start Menu.
- NoSMMyPictures = My Pictures folder in Start Menu.
- NoWindowsUpdate = Windows web Update.