I read over and over again, "you must plan your migration to Active Directory." Exactly what do you include as...
part of the planning? I can plan, but I want to make sure what I have planned has covered all the requirements.
You will have to cover at least the following:
- Collect diagrams configuration of current DNS
- Collect diagrams and configuration of current network structure -- include bandwidth, remote locations and stability
- Collect listings of all servers and their criticality
- Collect listing of workstations that will be affected
- Understand how all of the servers and workstations interrelate
- Collect information on the security policies or the requirements if you have to create a security policy
- Determine the type of migration (post restructure, pre-restructure, pristine build or upgrade)
- Determine the rights, objects and policies that will need to be migrated.
- Determine the fall back procedures in case of failure
- This involved procedures for servers, backups, secondary systems, etc.
Then you start the development the plans:
- User education and notification plan (this gets missed so often)
- IT training plan
- DNS structure and implementation plan (must be completed first)
- AD installation and implementation/migration plan
- Must include fallback plan
- Must have interim operations plans (how to support)
- Must have interim functionality plan (how replication, WINS, DNS and logins will be working)
- Installation of AD
- Installation/upgrade of servers
- Trusts required and how to install
- Sites that will be installed
- Hardware required
Here is the post-AD installation planning:
- Must include cleanup of old accounts, groups, ACLS, etc.
- Retirement of old systems
- Retirement of old domains
- Move to NATIVE mode
- Upgrading other servers (applications, Web systems, etc.)
- Support plan for the migration and post migration
Here is the group policy planning:
- Development of group policy for user accounts, passwords, security
- GP for event logs, desktops, etc.
- Who has access to modify group policy
Here is the operations planning:
- Who will be administrating the AD and each piece of the AD
- Help desk functions
- IT server administration functions
Well, that is my quick list. There is more of course, and the list is a little dynamic based on the type of migration that occurs.