Evaluate Weigh the pros and cons of technologies, products and projects you are considering.

Should I focus on MOS certification if I wish to teach computer applications?

Expert Ed Tittel discusses Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification training and what can be gained from it.

I recently passed my A+ exams. I am planning for my next certification, but I am confused. I don't know which one I should take. I would like to teach computer applications, however I don't know if getting Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification would make me ready to teach application courses or a class. I would really appreciate your response.

If you want to teach computer applications, specifically Microsoft Office stuff, you might indeed want to pursue the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification. But this is a collection of certifications that start at individual entry level qualifications, for Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, and Project, then go on to Expert, Master, and Master Instructor levels from there. You can find a complete matrix of all of this stuff at here, which will give you a good idea of what's involved in getting where you want to be. You'll have to take a sizable number of exams (at least a dozen, often more) and spend at least 18 months to work yourself into a place where you can qualify as an instructor. But because Microsoft Office remains the most widely used office productivity suite world-wide, it's also a great place to focus your personal and professional development efforts, because it will open opportunities to you anywhere you might wish to work.

Dig Deeper on Microsoft certification program

Have a question for an expert?

Please add a title for your question

Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.

You will be able to add details on the next page.

Start the conversation

Send me notifications when other members comment.

Please create a username to comment.