Problem solve Get help with specific problems with your technologies, process and projects.

Where can I find the Exchange Server Pubmerge utility?

SearchExchange.com expert David Sengupta explains where to find the utility Pubmerge and offers advice about using an easier alternative.

We have been looking for the Exchange Server utility called Pubmerge, but cannot find it. Any ideas?
I suspect you're trying to follow-up on our migration expert Peter terSteeg's post, "Migrating Exchange Server public folders." I also noticed that the file was removed from the MSExchange.org Web site since Peter's post.

I checked with a Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) contact of mine on this for you and the response I received was: "You probably need to contact PSS to get Pubmerge."

Since there is still a 2 GB limit in the Pubmerge tool, you may be better off using a .PST file (created with Microsoft Outlook 2003 so that you get the Unicode .PST file with the larger 20 GB capacity), or simply dragging and dropping within Microsoft Outlook.

Do you have comments on this Ask the Expert Q&A? Let us know.

Related information from SearchExchange.com:

  • Expert Advice: Is it possible to create a personal .PST file in OWA?
  • Expert Advice: Recovering mailbox and public folder data in Exchange 2000
  • Exchange Admin 101: Backing up, restoring Exchange Server
  • Learning Guide: Exchange migration
  • Learning Center: A primer on .PST files
  • Reference Center: Exchange personal store (.PST) tips and resources
  • Dig Deeper on Exchange Server setup and troubleshooting

    Start the conversation

    Send me notifications when other members comment.

    Please create a username to comment.