Systems management is one of the many tasks you have on your "to do" list: You are probably charged with gathering requirements, purchasing equipment and software, distributing it to where it is to be used, configuring it and maintaining it with enhancement and service updates. This Learning Guide will help you monitor and manage your Windows systems with a collection of tips, articles, expert advice and white papers.
Send me an e-mail to let me know what other learning guides you'd like to see on SearchWinComputing.com. Vandana Sharma, Associate Editor.
| TABLE OF CONTENTS
Systems Management 101
Learning Guides, Chapters and White Papers
|Systems Management 101||Return to Table of Contents|
- Article: Windows tool points to performance problems
- Article: Microsoft updates Windows adviser tool
- Article: Desktop management tools: How suite it is
- Article: Deadline for SUS support extended
- Article: Select the right tool to manage your workstations
- Tip: Freeware helps administrators view system configuration
- Tip: What to do when Performance Monitor yields unexpected results
- Tip: Tools give you a heads-up to server problems
- Tip: MOM 2005 -- new and improved
- Tip: Securing an Administrator account
- Tip: Write Active Directory management scripts automatically
- Tip: Tool roundup: File management
- Tip: Terabyte-plus hard drives too much for SMS 2003
- Tip: Reliable file and folder sharing in Windows XP
- Tip: Running System Restore from the Recovery Console (well, sort of)
- Tip: Computer 'promotion' needn't mean AD problems
- Tip: Create secure passwords you don't have to remember
- Tip: 'Unlocker' reveals processes that lock files
- Tip: Ultimate boot CD packs in recovery, repair utilities
- Checklist: How to stretch backup windows on a budget
- Checklist: Establishing a data replication strategy
- Checklist: What to do when your server crashes
- Checklist: Performing data backups
|Expert Advice||Return to Table of Contents|
|Serdar Yegulalp wrote for Windows Magazine from 1994 through 2001, covering a wide range of technology topics. He now plies his expertise in Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP as publisher of The Windows 2000 Power Users Newsletter and writes technology columns for TechTarget.|
- Expert Advice: How can I defrag the Virtual Memory in Windows XP?
- Expert Advice: How can I execute a batch file during logout in WinXP?
- Expert Advice: Should I configure NTFS or FAT32 for Windows 2000?
- Expert Advice: Does Remote Desktop work between workstations?
- Expert Advice: Can I automatically execute a 'batch file' on logout in WinXP?
- Expert Advice: Looking for help with Windows Scripting Host language
- Expert Advice: How can I increase the 10-user limit to network shares?
- Expert Advice: Is there software which compiles batch files into executables?
- Expert Advice: Enable administrator logon screen in WinXP
- Expert Advice: Are there any advanced SMS installer guides online?
- Expert Advice: Restrict SMS sites to get only required OU computer names
- Expert Advice: How can I set up a logon script to extend the SMS cache?
|Learning Guides, Chapters and White Papers||Return to Table of Contents|
- Microsoft Operations Manager Learning Guide: This guide offers news, tips, White Papers and advice to help boost your MOM know-how quickly.
- Beginner's guide to scripting: Scripting is simpler than it looks and can save you substantial time and effort. Here are some basic scripting concepts for newbies.
- OS Troubleshooting Learning Guide: This guide provides OS troubleshooting help and advice and explains best practices and what pitfalls to avoid.
- Stabilizing Windows Learning Guide: Frustrated with Windows and its multitude of quirks? We hear you! Here are tips and expert advice to help you stabilize Windows.
- Passwords Learning Guide: Are password problems driving you crazy? Get the scoop from our tipsters and site experts and learn how to be a password pro.
- Chapter: Windows 2000 Server Administrator's Companion -- Chapter 6: Configuring Windows 2000 Server
- Chapter: Microsoft Windows Administrator's Automation Toolkit -- Chapter 12 Network and Server Management Tasks
- Chapter: Microsoft Windows Internals, Fourth Edition -- Chapter 4: Management Mechanisms
- Chapter: Microsoft Windows XP Registry Guide -- Chapter 6, Managing Registry-Based Policy
- Chapter: Windows 2000 Registry -- Chapter 6, System & startup settings
- Chapter: How to Do Everything with Windows XP, 2nd Edition -- Chapter 12, Manage Users and Groups
- Chapter: Troubleshooting Microsoft Technologies: The Ultimate Administrator's Repair Manual -- Chapter 6, Office XP
- White Paper: Windows 2000 system administration handbook: Using the Windows Control Panel
Need to manage Windows 2000 for maximum performance, reliability and value? This paper delivers the unsurpassed experience of three Windows 2000 deployment and management experts.
- White Paper: Systems and storage management convergence using file systems virtualization
This paper takes a look at an IT administrator's daily to-do-list reveals tasks that involve the need to build, configure, deploy, backup and recover desktop and server systems on a routine basis.
- White Paper: Systems Management Server 1.2 and 2.0 interoperability
Find out what you need to know to manage a mixed hierarchy of Systems Management Server 1.2
and Systems Management Server 2.0.
- White Paper: WinINSTALL 6.5 Integration with Systems Management Server 2.0
This document provides a step-by-step procedure for integrating WinINSTALL 6.5 with Systems Management Server 2.0. It also covers some basic components involved with SMS 2.0 and WinINSTALL.
- White Paper: Systems management for small and medium-size businesses, agencies and institutions
This document discusses how companies with 1,000 or fewer employees are trying to achieve
the same benefits of large-scale systems management tools while working within the constraints of a limited budget and a small or non-existent IT staff.
- Bitpipe: Systems Management Reports
Browse these reports to find the latest systems management white papers, product literature, webcasts and case studies.