There may be a time when you need to delete messages from your mail server quickly -- be it for virus control or confidential information. This information is based on Microsoft Article Q273560.
You can delete multiple files from your e-mail store by using Exchange 2000 Installable file System (IFS). This is normally mapped as drive M: on an Exchange 2000 computer.
To do this:
- Log onto the Exchange server with an account that has permission to access all mailboxes.
- Click Start, click Search and then click for files or folders.
- In the "search for files or folders named" box, type the subject or part of the subject of the message in question.
- In the Look box, click drive M:.
- To specify a date, size, or any additional option, click Search Options.
- Click Search Now.
- Delete the approriate messages in the Search Results pane.
Although it is not mentioned in the Microsoft article, I found it necessary to stop and start the Information Store before this process would completely eliminate the messages.