This tip was submitted to the SearchExchange.com tip exchange by member Karen Ongerth. Please let other users know how useful it is by rating it below.
Advising users on how to control their mailbox size is often a function of the Exchange administrator, especially when enforcing mailbox size limits. It's a good idea to explain to users how the "Size" field in the current view in Outlook can help keep their mailbox size under control. Once they add the Size field, they can click on the heading at the top of the Size column to see which messages are taking up the most space. (It toggles between ascending and descending order with each click on the column heading.)
To add the Size field:
- In Outlook, click on View, click on Current View.
- Select Customize Current View.
- Click on the Fields button.
- From the "Available Fields" list, select Size and click on the Add button.
- Click on the "Move Up" button to move the Size field to the top.
- Click OK twice to save the settings.
You will now see the size field in front of each message indicating the total size of the message plus any attachments. Repeat this procedure for each e-mail folder for which you want to view the message size. If you sort your messages by size by clicking on the Size column heading, to return to sorting by date received you must click on the heading of the Received column.