There are many general restrictions you can make to the Start Menu, the Explorer and to the Desktop itself.
1. Go to HKEY_Current_User / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Policies. There should be at least an Explorer section there already. Additional keys that can be created under Policies are WinOldApp. You can then add DWORD values set to 1 in the appropriate keys. To re-enable them, either delete the key or set the value to 0.
- ClearRecentDocsOnExit = Clear of Recent Documents on Exit.
- NoAddPrinter = Adding new printers.
- NoClose = Computer Shutdown.
- NoDeletePrinter = Delete Installed Printers.
- NoDesktop = Doesn't show Desktop items as well as and Desktop right-click menu.
- NoDevMgrUpdate = Windows 98/ME web Update Manager.
- NoDrives [hex] = Hides Drives in my computer.
- NoFind = Find command.
- NoInternetIcon = Internet Icon on Desktop.
- NoNetHood = Network Neighborhood.
- NoRecentDocsHistory = Recent Documents in Start Menu.
- NoRun = Run command.
- NoSaveSettings = Save Settings on exit.
- NoSetFolders = Folders in Start Menu - Settings.
- NoSetTaskbar = Taskbar in Start Menu - Settings.
- NoSMMyDocs = My Documents folder in Start Menu.
- NoSMMyPictures = My Pictures folder in Start Menu.
- NoWindowsUpdate = Windows web Update.